Sunday, March 29, 2009

Video Flashback: Will Smith

Last night, full on sushi and lazily watching an old SNL, the topic of Will Smith came up among my friends and I. After seeing a trailer for the DVD release of Seven Pounds we began to lament the fact that Will Smith seemed to no longer do tie-in music videos with his films. (haha, imagine what a Seven Pounds tie-in would have been like? Pretty ridiculous. But I Am Legend? A video for that could have been amazing!)

Anyway, even though it is widely agreed upon that Men in Black is a much better movie than Wild Wild West, there was some disagreement as to which was the better song. Now that is something worth discussing. Both songs tell the story of their respective movie's plot, both sample famous melodies ("Forget Me Nots" and "I Wish"), and both feature a charismatic, costumed Frsh Prince. But which is superior?

Let's refresh our memories:



"It's the MIB's. Here come the MIB's." Ha. I love it. I remember quite well that this video comes after the credits on the VHS tape. Also, I think I know about 95% of the lyrics and could sing back the whole song without much prompting. And that dance breakdown with the alien? Genius.

Next!



This video comes with its own storyline. And the song itself is arguably more catchy (as is the source material). AND it features Cisco of "The Thong Song" fame! But unlike with "Men in Black," which makes me want to watch the movie, "Wild Wild West" just reminds me how good the movie should have been and wasn't.

But we're comparing videos here. And "Wild Wild West" not only features the ever-gorgeous Selma Hayek, but there are cameos by Stevie Wonder (we love Stevie) and CARLTON! (at 3:06 is you missed him). Ultimately though, I don't like the separate storyline. And though Will Smith makes a hot cowboy, nothing beats the sharp suit and Ray Bans.

If I HAVE to choose, though both are fabulous, my heart belongs to "Men in Black."


Which is better? Leave your vote in the comments.

1 comment:

Julia York said...

I'm definitely voting for Wild wild West. Not only is that white suit incredible, but the synchronized dance is way better with the roping motions. Plus, Carlton! And the big flaming W! And, besides the video, I do think WWW is a catchier song with more memorable lyrics. That chorus of Men in Black is great, sure, but the refrains are really generic.