Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Broadcast 2000

I love when my "Take on Me" google alert lead me to strange and wonderful things. First, it was the Muse mash-ups (and my subsequent love of "Starlight") and now this.

Should I explain? Apparently these dudes (well, this one dude, Joe Steer, and his live band) have been known to play "Take on Me" during their live show. According to the review that my google alert alerted me to, Joe handles the challenging vocals of ToM with ease. I wish I could find it, but there appears to be no recording.

But that's ok! That same review also said that they sound nothing like their name, Broadcast 2000, might make you think (which to me could either be some sort of electronic collective or a pop-punk band on Drive-Thru Records (no offense Evan!)). I looked into it, and I really dig what I hear.

They play dreamy, contemplative folk-pop. with a glockenspeil. Like Beirut meets Noah and the Whale. They hail from the UK and have only one release to date, 2008's Building Block (either a long EP, or a mini-album, whichever way you want to look at it). BUT you know their music without realizing it. Their song "Run" is featured in the macbook-is-the-greenest commercial.

Anyway, having heard most of their tunes, I can definitely say that "Get Up and Go" is the stand-out track. Check it ouuuuuut:





I can't even describe this song. It has an ethereal quality. It's another one of those lying-under-the-stars songs, but it's not as pure an simple all that either. It's gorgeous, light, and twinkling but with a lingering darkness. I can't explain what it is about it that I love so much, and it's driving me a little bit crazy. I mean, it's haunting.

So, this is definitely a band I'm going to be keeping tabs on. I don't expect "Get Up and Go" to be leaving my head anytime soon, anyway. Plus Joe Steer is HOT. Check him out:








He has so many feelings. oh baby.

1 comment:

val said...

haha it's funny that you just posted about broadcast 2000 because a few days ago i googled that mac commercial to find out who played the music in the background!
i wish they had more stuff, 'cause i really like what ive heard so far.

also, noah and the whale is amazing. and so is the fact that you have a google alert for "take on me" haha