Tuesday, March 31, 2009

In defense of Keane

So those ubiquitous In Plain Sight commercials have reminded me how much I liked Keane back in the day. (on second thought, maybe it's only ubiquitous because of the amount of Law & Order: SVU that I watch on USA. but i digress).

The song is "Everybody's Changing," and it's interesting that they're using it now, since it's about 5 years old and was never a single. But those factors combined actually make it pretty fresh sounding, in the way that only a song that you used to love but haven't heard in years can. But the question I constantly have to ask myself with these guys is do I like them because I used to love them, or because they make good music? Because, honestly, it's not very hip to like them. (honestly, who reading this isn't a little skeptical right now?).

I'm just going to say it: I LIKE KEANE.

And I'll tell you why.

I took the time to listen to them. I did not let "Somewhere Only We Know" inform my entire opinion. It was a hit, and was branded "adult contemporary" (whatever the fuck that means) and they were often mentioned in the same breath as Coldplay (fuck Coldplay). And if you only listen to that song, it makes sense. But the rest of 2004's Hopes and Fears goes in more than one direction. It's piano driven rock, sure, but it gets fast paced and even experimental and dark toward the end.

And unlike Coldplay, there next album did not replicate their earlier sound. 2006's Under the Iron Sea is an extremely cohesive and interesting album. It might even be considered a concept album, complete with a thematic instrumental track half-way through. Again, the different tracks feature different things, from Tim Rice-Oxley playing his piano through a vintage guitar petal on "Is It Any Wonder?" to Richard Hughes playing a backwards beat (there's no other way to describe it) on "Atlantic," all while Tom Chaplin pushes and explores his vocal range (aside: this band is a great example of why all songwriters should have the best possible vocalist for their songs. sometimes it's better if you don't sing it yourself).

And again, 2008's Perfect Symmetry saw them finding a new sound. And I think they quite successfully explore synths and more dance-ready tunes (see my synthtastic playlist). Not to say the whole album is like that. I can't comment extensively on this album, however, since I don't know it as intimately as I do the other two.

I don't mean to say they don't have there missteps. There are songs I can't stand, but on the whole, I think they get it right, particularly on Under the Iron Sea which so brilliantly uses the album as a form instead of just a collection of songs.


I mean, they're a power trio! and adorably British! I am unashamed to love them.



The song that set off this rant (live! in a stadium! post-rehab!):



i mean, have you ever seen someone rock out so hard at a piano? i didn't think so.


(this post is dedicated to brittaney with whom i will always be united in keane love)

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie Rizz said...

you spelled their wrong. ("there missteps") if it was anyone else, i wouldn't write that, but i thought you'd want to know.

katieco. said...

very soulmate-ish of you that as i was reading this entry, keane came up on my itunes. i used to genuinly like them, but now i only like them in a nostalgic-fun that i still know all the words- kind of way.

kind of like the spice girls.