Friday, March 6, 2009

Muse Mash-ups

I feel like i need to explain where this post is coming from (because I know how random it seems).

It starts with a google alert which promised a "Take on Me"/"Wonderwall" mash-up. I was like, "Holy shit! this sounds awesome! two of the best songs ever!" However, when I went to track it down, i found it had been part of a radio stream that was no longer working. Boo. (don't worry, i have since found it, and it is REALLY FREAKIN' GOOD!)

Anyway, that led me on a youtube search, where i again, didn't find what i was looking for. But it was then that I saw an A-Ha/Muse mash-up. Now I only really know one song by each of these bands ("Take on Me" obvs, and "Time is Running Out") but I thought I'd watch "The Sun Always Shines on TV"/"Starlight." Funnily, it didn't have a cute mash-up name like most two-song mash-ups do, so i will name it. "A-Ha vs Muse" video, you are now officially...

The Starlight Always Shines on TV


How fucking good is that? I'm pretty unashamed to love both these bands. But then again, I have a thing for the patently epic and ridiculous. Which explains a lot of things, actually. Also, I like how they edited together the videos too. nice touch. (side note: I can't believe how literal Muse was, filming their video on a ship? really? but then again, it is pretty epic...)


but my journey continues.

I decided I really like this "Starlight" song, and really want to hear the un-mashed version. But on the way, I found an AMAZING Killers/Muse mash-up. Because separately, they are pretty fantastically epic bands, but together??? well, the results blew my mind.

When You Were Starlight



I already loved "When You Were Young" and was quickly falling for "Starlight." But this works SO WELL. I do wish there was a little more Brendan Flowers. But I can't complain. That Killers riff sounds so natural with the Muse melody. God. I love it.


I also found a Streets/Muse mash-up. Not good. Well, the mash-up is fine, but I can't stand the Streets.


and now, I've downloaded Black Holes and Revelations (which includes "Take A Bow," the song in the Watchmen trailer... that i thought was Radiohead... silly me) and am taking a listen to the real version of the song. Not really the order I should have gone in, but whatever. Not gonna lie, I kind of like the mash-ups better. Not to say I don't like the song, it's pretty wonderful. but still, the mash-ups are more fun.

No comments: