Turns out Jeff "The Genius" Goldblum's first episode as a CI regular is about the death of a Williamsburg hipster. Seriously. They actually use the word hipster in the episode description (titled "Rock Star," by the way).
Things I learned about my neighbors and neighborhood by watching Law & Order: CI (in real time):
- Hipsters are rich, white, and racist
- They live in loft communes
- Williamsburg is where "worlds collide," what with all the Jews and "Urban Blacks" and Musicians
- Williamsburg is a slum
- The difference between Rappers and MCs (see below!)
- Every hipster is in a band
- and has bedbugs
- and go to Spelling Bees? "Nostalgia and beer. Who can resist?" (ok, I have to give L&O that one, that actually sounds like real hipsters)
- It is extremely hard to get gigs as a hipster band
- Girls can drum
- No-name hipster bands magically have audiences
- Everyone wants to be a rock star (ok, that one's true too)
- JEFF GOLDBLUM PLAYS A MEAN PIANO (holla!)
- Hipsters kill to get spots in hip bands
- A girl who paints canvases with her own body fluids! (that sounds like a hipster too)
- Bed bug epidemic. ew.
- You have to be "ready" to play clubs in the East Village
- All 20-year old girls sleep around
- Developers are trying to push out the artists to build condos (true story!)
- OMG! that's Albert Hammond Jr's (and Medium Cool's) guitarist Marc Philippe Eskenazi! What's he doing on Law & Order? as the bassist?
- scarves and leather are totes in.
- "He's gonna be bigger than Brooklyn"
- Near McCarren Park is a "dangerous neighborhood"
- No one insults Bo Diddley and gets away with it! Irreverant kids!
- The Grammy's are irrellevant (true)
- Don't trust aging "rock stars." (oh, i get it....)
Despite the ridiculous premise, JGold is AMAZING. Tivo it if you get a chance.
Here's a taste (courtesy of Videogum):