Saturday, April 11, 2009

Someone Still Loves You, Boris Yeltsin @ The Mercury Lounge

and Drew Danburry too.

I haven't been going to shows lately. With the exception of seeing Samuel play a few clubs (once with the always fun Postelles), the last show I went to was Indie Rock Karaoke Returns Again with Ted Leo and the Pharmacists hosted by Andrew W.K. and that was in December. SO, needless to say, I was looking forward to going to see a band I don't personally know in a proper music venue.

Two word review:
SO FUN.

More word review:
I honestly didn't know what to expect from Someone Still Loves You, Boris Yeltsin live. Their albums aren't the rockingest, so would their show be? I decided to set my expectations low. That's not to say I don't really like them. Pershing was the album of (the second half of) my summer. "Think I Wanna Die" was my most-played song ever. But still, I hate to get my hopes up and be let down.

But seriosuly, it rocked. I danced. I sang along. I shouted "Hey" along with them. I chatted with equally enthusiatic fans. They had a ton of energy and it was a blast.

Their set was a little too short in my opinion, but it included most everything I wanted to hear. "Pangea" and "Oregon Girl" kicked it off, and an amazing "Modern Mystery" closed it out (pre-encore). They were fun to watch, and very personable. Post-encore they threw their instruments and jumped all over the drum kit. It's good to watch a bad that has fun with what they do.

By far the most fun to watch was Phil, who drummed for most of the set but picked up a guitar and the mic toward the end. When he was drumming, he was ON FIRE. So amazingly energetic. And I am constantly impressed by anyone who can drum and sing at the same time (even you, youngest Jonas). Maybe the energy wasn't all natural though... my favorite part of the night was this exchange between him and most-of-the-time lead singer/guitarist and sometimes bassist, John:

John: Is that a Red Bull?

Phil: Yes.

John: How many have you had?

Phil: Four.

John: (pause) That's not even a joke, is it?

Phil: No.

John: What's your record?

Phil: Six.

John: Was that in Cleveland?

Phil: Yes.

John: You need six Red Bulls for Cleveland.

Anyway... they were great. I went from generally liking them to really loving them in one night. This is why I love live music.

And a note on Drew Danburry: He was delightful. I love when an opener is charismatic enough to entertain a group of people who doesn't know who he is. He even got me singing along! And his bassist wore his bass so high he looked like he was straight out of 1952. It was adorable.


For your viewing pleasure, the obviously low budget (and obviously AWESOME) video about dueling paper boys (and aliens!) for Pershing standout "Modern Mystery." New love-of-my-life Phil is in the pink (orange?) wayfarers.




The "Think I Wanna Die" video (that I posted here) was what made me first like them, but this one might just be better. I really like the fact that that the song was live recorded especially for the video. I like the feel of it.


I imagine that they would be a very fun bunch to hang out with.

No comments: