Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Is Passion Pit the new Vampire Weekend?

I certainly hope not. I much prefer boat shoes and African beats.

However, the CONCEPT for the video of "The Reeling," the first single off their as-yet-unreleased debut Manners, is pretty cool. I want to go to a party like that!



But seriously, it's kind of better with the sound off.

I'm not being mean. I tried to listen to their Chunk of Change EP and couldn't get through it. The synths/electronics are beyond abrasive, they're painful. They literally hurt my ears. Like,
Dear Passion Pit, Turn down the fucking treble, you're making my ears bleed, love, madelyn.

I'm not saying the songs are bad. The melodies are great! I even like Michael Angelakos' screechy falsetto. But I just can't listen to their music the way it is.

Remixed, however, totally different story! Listen to The Knocks' remix of "Sleepyhead" and you will understand what I mean. UH-mazing. Compared to the original, no contest.

No comments: