Tuesday, April 21, 2009

New Obsession, continued

Honestly, Yeasayer is way hipper than the music I usually listen to. I mean, their album was Pitchfork's "Best New Music" for weeks when it came out. I mean, seriously, they are from Brooklyn and describe themselves as "Middle Eastern-psych-snap-gospel." Somebody kill me now, please. Gross.

BUT THIS TRACK IS INCREDIBLE.

The only reason I listened to it was because I had been listening to Yeah Yeah Yeahs and just let my itunes continue to play. What just happened to come on was Yeasayer's contribution to the Dark Was the Night compilation, "Tightrope." It think I've already listened to it about 12 times today. And that's a conservative guess.

Here's a video of them performing the song. Slightly different than the studio version, but still delectable. (don't let the disgusting hipster outfits turn you off. it's pretty bad. like, downright stereotypical.)



It was raining when I first heard this song. And I think that almost describes it perfectly. It's music to listen to the rain with. Gorgeous, contemplative, dreamy. Like the tribal Broadcast 2000. The more rocking Beirut. With monkey sounds. That's it! It's rain forest music. And I mean that in the best possible way. Also, I'm really in love with Chris Keating's vocal delivery; he doesn't settle for the straightforward and really plays with what he singing, the "never mind" bit is my fave.

After the first couple listens I noticed the first few lines... "So you're wishing that you never did all the embarrassing things you've done. And you're wishing you could make it right. And you're wishing you could stay the night." Seriously. Story of my life. And he's right, "wishing never solved a problem."


NEW THEME SONG TO MY LIFE.

No comments: