Monday, April 20, 2009

late-night ruminations

It's funny how music can be so associative. The first bars of Voxtrot's "Fast Asleep" mentally put me in last June, walking through Peter Cooper Village, smelling the summer, feeling... whatever it was i was feeling back then. I listened to Mothers, Sisters, Daughters, & Wives and Raised by Wolves back-to-back almost exclusively for weeks. The association is so strong, I almost can't stand it. I probably could break it if I really tried, but I don't know if I want to. It's kind of cool that I have an instant time machine of sorts. But it's also a little sad that I can't listen to these songs without the association. Like, they have a meaning now and they can't mean anything else. They're frozen in the past, they can't just be what they are. Then again, is that really better? Should songs be free of association? No. But they should perhaps not be saturated in association.

God, this is starting to sound like my "Art of Listening" class. I apologize.

Forget about this. Go see Crank 2.



Side note: I know I should be sleeping at this hour instead of philosophizing, but at least it's better than my last two nights in which, instead of sleeping, I was either thinking I was dying from heart palpitations or embarrassing myself on facebook. This is more public, but considerably better for my health.

1 comment:

Katie Rizz said...

DUDE- I KNOW- it's gotten so bad that i've actually started compiling playlists by time period. i've got a playlist for every finals period and every summer from 2005-2008. it's sad but also awesome.