Saturday, December 27, 2008

My Favorite Musical Discoveries of 2008

Vampire Weekend
I may had heard the name in 2007, but I didn't really listen to them till they were already passe among the hipper crowd. But they've made an album of catchy, interesting, and unskippable songs (with the obvious exception of "One (Blake's Got a New Face)," i mean seriously, what the fuck is that song?). I love their album forwards and backwards. It is summer in auditory form. I wish I had gotten in to see them when they played Central Park, instead of getting drenched for no reason. Plus, i love their aesthetic. How can you not love boys in cardigans and boat shoes? And seriously, how fun are they? evidence:



Boys in cardigans! adorable!

"Don't Look Back in Anger" - Oasis
It's embarrassing that it took Rock Band to acquaint me with this song, but i'll admit it. I think it's probably my favorite song ever. ok, my favorite song ever is Ted Leo's "Walking to Do," but this one is up there.


Gotta love those Gallaghers.

"Take On Me" - RAC feat. Karl Kling (A-ha cover)
I'm not about to debate the artistic merits of covers. All I know is that THIS version of THIS song was lodged in my head for a good three days straight. literally. I couldn't sleep, i'd just have this song running through my head. I feel bad for anyone who was around me during that time of my life, for making them listen to me sing "take on me" without even hearing the kickass version of the song i was hearing in my head. now they can. check it out/download it here.

Someone Still Loves You, Boris Yeltsin
I know they've been around for years. But their excellent Pershing came out this year, and it became my album of the summer. I can't tell you the number of time I listened to it on repeat as I drove to work. There is a lot I like about them; their music is fun and catchy and not too serious. The tracks all have excellent harmony parts as well, and several of them have some great woah-oh's. I guess you need to hear it to know what I mean. What really made me fall in love with them, however, was this adorable video for their song "Think I Wanna Die" (you better believe it's my number 2 listened to song on itunes):



The Shills
I had the honor and privilege of working with Bryan Murphy for five weeks this summer. He is one of the most talented men I have ever met, not to mention one of the nicest. His band, the Shills, are a Boston based rock quartet and they are incredible. Their high energy shows are a blast and their songs are simultaneously accessible and musically intricate. No one deserves greater success and renown than they do. Do yourself a favor and check them out. Pick up their self-titled album while you're at it.

Mothers, Sisters, Daughters & Wives - Voxtrot
I cannot recommend this EP enough. I adore Voxtrot and have been listening to them for awhile, but I only found this EP in May. It is five tracks of fantastic. I can tell you without exaggeration that I spent a solid week listening to this and the Raised by Wolves EP on repeat. The title track is a particular favorite of mine.


THE BEST RE-DISCOVERY OF 2008:

"Faded" - SoulDecision
How could we let THIS slip out of our collective conscience?



amazing

2 comments:

Julia York said...

Oh, yes, Faded, one of the best songs in the "Why won't you put out already?" genre.

katieco. said...

hahahasouldecisionhahaha