Monday, February 9, 2009

A Note on the Grammy Awards

I don't actually give a shit. And I don't think they're really taken all that seriously by anyone. They seem to be celebrating excellence, but it's really just a facade as the industry implodes. The gaudier and more "star-studded" the ceremony is, the bigger the cry for help.

Also, I really hate Coldplay.

Nevertheless, I suppose there may have been some sort of value in watching the ceremony, if only to better understand Stereogum's liveblogging of the event. Here are some choice moments:

8:41: Song Of The Year goes to "Viva La Vida," written by Joe Satriani (Feat. Creaky Boards).
ZING!
11:18: OK you guys. Alison and Robert totally did it. Right?
Of course they did. We have to believe it is so.


But honestly, the perfect example of everything that is wrong with the Grammys and the recording industry in general: Coldplay wins Best Rock Album over Radiohead*. Then Radiohead performs and fucking rocks it. with a marching band.


The obvious win of marketing over music is made all the more embarrassing by a stiff and smarmy introduction by none other than Mrs. Chris Martin herself.

Awards shows blow. But seriously, what did I expect?



* I swear I don't say this with bias. Even though I hate Coldplay, I'm not a huge Radiohead fan. But I think we can all can agree that Radiohead is more musically complex and progressive than Coldplay, who have openly admitted to stealing from their influences. Assholes. Ok, maybe I'm a little biased.

2 comments:

Emily McAdams said...

How AWESOME would it be to be a member of that marching band?

"Hey man, you wanna go out Sunday night?"
"Nah, I can't. I'm performing at the Grammys with Radiohead."

Katie Rizz said...

I do agree with this even though we vary on musical taste. I know so many good artists that sound similar to very very popular artists ( I won't name drop, for fear of embarassment)... but yeah, it's fucked up.