Sunday, February 15, 2009

I'll be coming for you anyway

Two additions to the TOMP, both not really new.

First we have a cover by British boy band a1 (like the steak sauce), released in 2000. Now, "Take on Me" is a brilliant song and all, but should you ever release a cover of it as a single? No. The answer to that question is no. Because this is what happens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjOgBqp61MM
(sorry, embedding was disabled. LAME)

This thing takes me straight back to 7th grade. That "metrosexual" boy band style is RAGING in this video; the waxed eyebrows, the dyed tips, the strategically gelled hair, the matching outfits. It doesn't help that they're European. I am proud to say American girls were never into these guys. (*Nsync forevs!)

Plus, they butcher the song. (But as hard as they try, they could never ruin it for me). It was a little hard to get through despite it's being visually HILARIOUS. It was worth it to see them fly in... i don' know, virtual reality? while fighting a deadly computer virus? what is going on here? And why does that one guy only have one sleeve???

We're obviously supposed to find these boys attractive. But I think it's telling that their upcoming reunion concert is being held at a venue called G-A-Y. I kind of wish I was kidding.


Glad that's over with. Moving on!


This one you may already be aware of: Reel Big Fish apparently did a cover of "Take on Me" for the movie Basketball? I'm not a fan of Reel Big Fish, and this cover sounds exactly the way you would expect a ska version of this song to. But it's fun, i guess. They obviously had a lot of fun with it, which I definitely appreciate. Though, the film tie-in makes it a bit dated. But I do like the vocal harmonies, and the horns playing the main riff (even if it's expected).



Honestly, I can only take so much ska at one time. It can be tiring.

Side note, I would kill for that one guy's leopard print blazer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's funny, I've never seen Baseketball. This video doesn't really make me want to see it more.

Also, Cap'n Jazz does a really good "Take on Me" cover.