Tuesday, October 13, 2009

My Vinyl Weekend

What a successful weekend it was! If one measures the success of a weekend by how many awesome records one buys. And everyone does, so, again, what a successful weekend it was!

What with finances being tight, I haven't wiled away as many hours searching for records as I might like these days. But on Saturday, my roommate and I took a walk down to Bedford Avenue and the first stop was naturally Academy Records. I love this place. It's 95% vinyl and 100% awesome. They even have an adorable cat!

Anyway, I wasn't planning to buy. That is, of course, unless I found Combat Rock, the only Clash LP I didn't yet have (Cut the Crap doesn't count as a real Clash LP). And I did find it. Along with the single for Rock the Casbah. And then I found Thriller, and I HAD to get that too! (I also found a HILARIOUS record that I can't post about just yet, but I will soon, promise). My roommate came away with a $4 big band-y Frank Sinatra record.

Monday, finding ourselves with another day off, my roommate and I headed down the block to The Vortex, a great junk/thrift store across from the Montrose L station (after egg sandwiches at our favorite cafe, natch). I was actually looking for a nightstand, but we ended up looking through the vinyl crates anyway. I was pumped to come across Black Market Clash, a B-sides and rarities LP. And I was THRILLED when I found Hunting High and Low, by A-Ha featuring, you guessed it, "Take on Me." AND THUS RETURNS THE DINOSAUR IN BROOKLYN TAKE ON ME PROMISE. Missed it, didn't you? To finish off the story of my great vinyl weekend, my roommate found a copy of Boston's self-titled (with "More Than a Feeling") that I informed her if she didn't buy, I would. And she did.

Ch-ch-ch-check it OUT:


Why yes, I did buy Rock the Casbah almost exclusively for that amazing cover.

Anyway, I spent way too much much money, but dancing with my roommate to "Take on Me" or sitting here now listening to "Straight to Hell," I am way too much happy. So it's worth it.

On a related note, Insound is having another Wharehouse sale coming up on October 23-24, in case you also want to stock up on some vinyl (or CD's or free beer). Here's the flier with details.

1 comment:

katieco. said...

i am dying to visit you in nyc! now that i have a job, i have money $, but also since i now have a job (a new one starting next week), i don't have time off. but it will happen soon!

if you find any james taylor or sim&garf, you know who to buy it for ;)