Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Band That Brought Me Back to Blogging

I have a new favorite band. And I just had to tell you about it. Their name? Awesome New Republic.


[in the interest of full disclosure, before I begin, I should first say that the PR firm I'm interning for represents this band. Also, I know my supervisor has a google alert on the phrase 'Awesome New Republic' (Hi Andy!). But rest assured, I'm writing about them from a place of pure, unadulterated love, and nothing else. MOVING ON!]


So it's been awhile since I wrote about anything. And it's been a combination of a truly soul-crushing job search and a post-job search i'm-working-two-jobs-and-the-band-has-started-up-again schedule. But it's also been because, as I tweeted to a friend a few weeks ago, I haven't found anything that really excited me in awhile. Since my Clash phase was plateauing to an appropriate (and not crazed) level of appreciation, and I can't expect a new Pharmacists album till the Spring, I was stuck in a playlist of a few exciting tracks that quickly wore themselves out.

Enter Awesome New Republic.

The Miami duo are not only masters of the dance-floor beat but true musicians who experiment with laptops and synthetic sounds as well as interesting instruments and various styles. And they are able to do this without having strained vocals or an at times alienating weirdness (I'm looking at you MGMT!), or without having substance-less lyrics or a too serious attitude.

Their style seems to be in interesting juxstapositions. Take the introduction of their EP Rational Geographic, Vol. I, "National Insecurity/Rotary Clone." The first track is a brief ragtimey piano tune that abruptly transitions synth-driven, dance-floor burning track, complete with a spoken, auto-tuned shout of their own name, "A. N. R."And it works. OR take the very next track, "Birthday," a standard dance tune about falling in lust in a club. But it's sung entirely from the girl's perspective (sexy falsetto included). I mean, they describe themselves as Punk/Soul/R&B, things that you would never think would go together, but magically, in them, do.

Should I take a moment to mention that I'm completely in love with Michael John Hancock's voice? I want to take it out behind the middle school and get it pregnant, so to speak.

So, being familiar with their three most recent recordings, Rational Geographic, Vol. I & II, and the soon-to-be-released full-length Hearts, it's REALLY HARD to pick my favorite tracks. But here we go:

"Digital World"
(appears on both Rational Geographic, Vol. I and Hearts)



Slow-building, thought-provoking, and stick-in-your-head-worthy. Great example of what they do, and an obvious stand-out among their tracks.

"Dances When"
(but ONLY the version on RG, I NOT the version they re-recorded for Hearts (bad decision, boys...))


I can't understand a word, but damn if I don't sing along.

"Alleycat"
(lead single off Hearts)



Upbeat song about a hot-and-cold relationship is extremely infectious.

"Wheels No Engine"
(Hearts)
I love how they sing about riding their bikes (see also: "Magic City" on RG I). It's adorable. Plus this song is gorgeous (though it did have to grow on me a little). The breakdown toward the end gets me every time. I won't post it, cause the album hasn't come out yet, but when it does...

"Florida"
(and pretty much the entire rest of Rational Geographic, Vol. II)


Epic. and awesome. The entire EP is so cohesive. Thematically and musically. I love it.




So there you have it. My new faves. What I've been listening to non-stop. A few weeks ago, RG I & II were available for free from their website, www.anrmiami.com, but I don't see that they are anymore, which is sad for everyone.


so.... WHO'S COMING WITH WITH ME TO SEE THEM DURING CMJ???

2 comments:

alpinesol said...

Awesome songs! Good post. I will totally go to see them at CMJ with you. When is it?

Madelyn said...

They have a show on the 20th and two on the 24th. I hope to make it to one of them.