Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Who is Julian Plenti?

When a front man goes solo, it's no surprise when he sounds just like the band he fronts.

But luckily for Paul Banks, he fronts a really good band. All together, sounding like Interpol isn't a bad thing.

So with Paul's alter ego Julian Plenti, and the album, Julian Plenti is... Skyscraper, we get the same affected vocals, the same opaque and sexual lyrics, the same driving rhythm section. The lead single "Games for Days" is dark, but with a straight-forward pop/rock construction and a shout-along chorus. This track definitely feels less sharp-dressed and drilled than Interpol. I mean, I can imagine actually dancing to it (which is saying something!). It sounds like what Our Love to Admire was trying to be. "Fun that We Have" sounds like it could be straight off Antics, but with some electronic flair. It's repetitive and building in a good way.

I am... fan. I think. I should really hear the rest of the album before I judge.

Check out the hot video for "Games for Days."



I love his hats. And his general high level of attractiveness. You may also recognize Metric's Emily Haines as the leading lady? No? It's ok, neither did I.


You can snag the Mp3 of "Games for Days" over at Stereogum.

No comments: