Thursday, July 9, 2009

Some Musics of My Summer (so far)

I find that my summers are often defined by my tunes. Last summer, for me, was all Voxtrot and Someone Still Loves You, Boris Yeltsin. I haven't found that one defining sound yet, but there are some tunes that I'm enjoying.

1. Crocodiles
Their trendy sound is at times a little too much, but I really like a couple tracks."I Wanna Kill" constantly gets stuck in my head, and is much more pleasant and summery-light than the title suggests. "Neon Jesus" is another gem, and the video is kinda sick!



You can have your Passion Pit, I'll take Crocodiles.

2. "Two Weeks"
Grizzly Bear is everywhere these days, what with the new album. And honestly, I'm not that into them, even after seeing them. Granted, their entire performance was wiped from my memory by be so thoroughly rocked by The National. So maybe it's not fair to judge yet.

Two Weeks


But I am definitely a fan of this track (even if the vid is less than inspiring until the 3:00 mark). I think it's the chunky piano and the smooth harmonies. It makes me want to be on a roof drinking wine and watching the sun set over Manhattan.

You can find an mp3 of this track almost anywhere. if you can't, you're not trying.

3. Discovery
... is bound to be the trendy thing this summer. I mean, memebers of Vampire Weekend and Ra Ra Riot teaming up? Hipsters everywhere are wetting themselves. Most of it is ignorable. HOWEVER, "Carby (feat. Ezra Koenig)" is immensely fun and engaging (and I promise that's not just cause I'm in everlasting love with Ezra Koenig).



LOVE IT. I'm also going to highly recommend "Swing Tree" (it's SOOO summer) and "I Want You Back," yes, the Jackson 5 "I Want You Back," but a very unique take.

4. "I Fought the Law"
Classic.





Unfortunately, being so busy has inhibited my discovering new music, but I'll share as I find it....

PEACEEEEE.

2 comments:

Emily McAdams said...

Gotta say, as much as I like the Discovery album, and as much as I like the concept of the "I Want You Back" cover, the execution is REALLY FUCKING ANNOYING.
Grizzly Bear is also one of those bands that I hear about all the time and can't really get into, but that's a great song.
My favorite summer music discovery has definitely been Florence and the Machine, and Wilco's new album is good too. Check that shit out.

Anonymous said...

I found the song featuring the Vampire Weekend singer to be the worst song on the Discovery album! I'm not sure how many people will be listening to it since a lot of it is really similar to straight up hip-hop. The first half of the album is really good though. Also, Veckatimest is great. Also also, there's a band called Alligators who have a much cleaner, poppier sound than Crocodiles, and they're named after an animal that's actually indigenous to this country. I support that.