Monday, November 2, 2009

11.02.2006

Let's have a flashback moment, shall we? all the way back..... to 2006.

On this day 3 years ago, me and my then-roommate, Angela, went to go see The Wrens and The Walkmen play a show at our then-school. I went cause I was getting really into music and heard that these bands were good, she went because we'd seen a guy dressed in a waffle costume handing out fliers the day before. Good reasons both, as far as I'm concerned.

We were in the front row for an electrifying (if crazed) performance by The Wrens.

As you can see, the frontman played a sawed-off bass and wore a parka. Then he started pulling kids onto the stage.
It turned into a amp-climbing, mic-screaming dance party (though nowhere near as epic as the one Broken Social Scene achieved in the same venue two years later).

We moved away from the craziness for The Walkmen, who were unfortunately less memorable. Though I remember the lead-singer being extremely adorable and tall and there being a crazy-looking, stripped-down piano.

As far as the music goes, I didn't really keep listening to either, but a track or two will make it onto the odd playlist. "Louisiana" and "The Rat," though very different, were Walkmen standouts in my mind. I heard their new album was great, but never got around to listening to it. Wrens standouts were easily "Everyone Choose Sides" and the demo of "Miss Me" which unfortunately became the less-good "Boys You Won't" on the album The Meadowlands.

So in honor of nostalgia, and the day before I met some of my best friends, here's the awesome Battleship themed video for "Everyone Choose Sides":



Be careful with those torpedoes! It's not just a game! It's real, old man!

No comments: